Youth Camp • July 1-5, 2019 • Camp Lee • Anniston, Alabama
Youth Camp Information
- 2019 Dates: Mon., July 1, 3 p.m. through Fri., July 5, 9 a.m.
- Location: Camp Lee, 70 Camp Lee Main Road, Anniston, AL 36207.
- Fees: $450 (30 and up), $250 (youth 29 and under) through Jun. 15.
- Deposit: $50 due with registration. Final payment due Jun. 15.
- Late Fee: Add $50 for final payment or registration after Jun. 15.
- Register Online and Pay Fees with PayPal: Online Registration.
- Register by Mail and Pay Fees by Check: Download PDF registration form.
Youth Camp Details
The Youth Camp session is programmed with an emphasis for youth and adults under age 30 (singing school lessons, full recreation schedule, some singing elective classes). While Youth Camp is not exclusive for younger singers, a large majority of its camper slots are reserved for youth. Adults who wish to accompany their youth should attend Youth Camp, as well as adults who want to attend this session to fit their personal schedules.
Youth Camp is held at Camp Lee, which is located just off Interstate 20 near Anniston, Alabama. Anniston is 65 miles east of Birmingham, 90 miles west of Atlanta, 110 miles southeast of Huntsville, and 130 miles southwest of Chattanooga.
Camp Lee sleeping accommodations are open lodge style with camp bunk beds (up to 20 per room) and community bathrooms. Camp Lee sleeping quarters are oriented to youth campers, so most adults find the beds “comfort challenging.” All the sleeping and meeting areas are air conditioned. Separate lodges are allocated for youth females, youth males, adult females, and adult males. Campers are responsible for providing all your own linens: sheets, pillows, blankets, towels, etc. Some campers elect to stay off-site at local hotels at their own expense (camp fees are not reduced) after evening activities end and return for breakfast in the morning. If you plan to stay off-site, please notify us in advance.
Meals for breakfast, lunch, and dinner are offered buffet-style in the camp dining hall. Specific vegetarian and vegan menus are not provided, but salads and other vegetables are usually available. We also provide snacks in the mid-morning and mid-afternoon. (If you would like to bring treats such as drinks, cookies, brownies, fruit, chips, or other food for the snack times, we would appreciate it.)
Camp Fasola recreation will include swimming, hiking, canoeing, rock slide (a Camp Lee exclusive), zip line, fishing (bring your own gear), climbing wall, ropes courses, exercise class, crafts, horseshoes, basketball, and games.
We will have a good selection of lessons and electives, so you will have at least three hours of singing school lessons per day plus some electives plus class singing each night. We will have sessions for all levels of experience from beginners through experienced singers.
Counselors will supervise camp activities for youth age 10–18. Parents/guardians or grandparents are responsible for accompanying and supervising children ages 6–9 at all times for all recreation, activities, meals, classes, and sleeping. Campers are asked to perform some area of service to support camp operation during the week.
All-day singings are held in the area on the weekends before and after Camp Fasola. The Independence Day Singing will be held at Camp Lee on Monday, July 3, before the start of Youth Camp. The Independence Day singing will begin at 10:00 a.m., and lunch will be available for purchase at the Camp Lee dining hall.
- Sat., June 29th or Sun., June 30th—Alabama Bicentennial Singing—Birmingham, Alabama—Venue TBA
- Mon., July 1st—Independence Day Singing—Camp Lee, Lakeview Lodge, Anniston, Alabama—10:00 a.m. CT—from I-20, exit 188, turn north to Choccolocco Road, turn right, go 2.2 mi. Sign for camp on the left—Lunch is Dutch Treat $8.00 each
- Sat., July 6th & Sun., July 7th—Henagar-Union Convention—Saturday 9:00 a.m. and Sunday 9:30 a.m.—Liberty Church—Henagar, DeKalb County, Alabama—Info: David Ivey
Transportation to Camp Fasola is the responsibility of campers. You may connect with other campers who are flying into the Atlanta or Birmingham airports via the Camp Fasola Facebook page to carpool/arrange rides together.
Check-in will be conducted between 3:00 and 5:00 p.m. CT on Monday. We request that you let us know if you will be arriving later. You will be issued your lodge assignment, three Camp Fasola T-Shirts (for Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday), and the final camp schedule of events. Our first camp meal will be at 6:00 p.m. Please note that Alabama is in the Central Time Zone.
Youth Camp is held at Camp Lee. Camp Lee is located near Anniston, Alabama just off Interstate 20 (address: 70 Camp Lee Main Road, Anniston, AL 36207). GPS coordinates: Latitude: 33°38’57” N, Longitude: -85°45’7” W or (33.649, -85.752).
- From I-20: Take Exit 188. From Atlanta, go right. From Birmingham, go left. Continue straight to third traffic signal. (Mapco on right corner, Chevron on opposite corner.) Turn right onto Choccolocco Road. Camp Lee is 1.9 miles on the left.
- From Gadsden and Jacksonville: Take Highway 431 and go south on the Anniston Eastern Bypass. Make left on Choccolocco Road. Continue straight and after 1.9 miles the Camp Lee entrance will be on the left.
- GPS coordinates: Latitude: 33°38’57” N, Longitude: -85°45’7” W or (33.649, -85.752).
Following is a packing list of suggested items. Be sure to bring appropriate comfortable, casual clothing for summertime outdoor activities. Campers will wear three provided Camp Fasola T-Shirts for Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. Do not bring alcohol, illegal drugs, fireworks, firearms, or any other dangerous or illegal item.
Comfortable and appropriate clothing for your stay at camp
- T-shirts, Polo shirts (camp T-shirts will be provided for Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday)
- Jeans, khakis, skirts
- Lightweight long sleeve shirt (in case of a cool night)
- Underwear and socks
- Sneakers/walking shoes/shoes for hiking/sandals
- Appropriate swimwear (Camp Lee rules: modest swimsuits with appropriate cover-ups; shorts and shoes must be worn at Rock Slide and Zipline)
- Towels, washcloth
- Sleeping bag or sheets and blanket for a twin bed
- Sacred Harp, 1991 Edition songbook
- Throat lozenges
- Insect repellant
- Notebook and pen
- Flashlight and batteries
- Plastic bag for wet clothing
- Beach towel (for swimming)
- Bookbag/backpack (optional)
- Camera (optional)
- Water bottle (optional)
- Seat cushion (optional)
Hotels are available in Anniston/Oxford near Camp Lee for stays before or after camp (listed in alphabetical order). Also, some campers elect to stay in hotels during camp. Exit 188 (I-20) is closer to the camp. Exit 185 (I-20) is 3 miles west of Exit 188.
- Hotel Finial | 256.236.0503 | 1604 Quintard Ave, Anniston, AL 36201
Exit 188 (I-20)
- Holiday Inn Express | 256.835.8768
- Jameson Inn | 256.835.2170
- Sleep Inn | 256.831.2191
- Wingate Inn | 256.831.1921
Exit 185 (I-2o)
- Best Western | 800.528.1234
- Comfort Inn | 256.831.0860
- Days Inn | 256.835.0300
- Hampton Inn | 256.835.1492
- Motel 6 | 256.831.5628
Scholarship/work study support for camp fees may be available based on need. Our aim is for every camper who wishes to participate in Camp Fasola to have that opportunity. Priority for scholarship support is given to campers who have multiple family members attending; who have substantial travel expenses; or who otherwise would be unable to attend without financial support.
Please complete the camp scholarship form (also accessible on the camp PDF registration form) if you require scholarship support for camp fees. We also encourage campers to seek financial support from their local Sacred Harp community.
For additional information on Youth Camp, email firstname.lastname@example.org.